Next Meeting: Monday, December 3, 2018
Meetings are held the first Monday of the month.
No meetings in January, July, or August
Time: 8:00 pm
Location: Heritage Trust Community Center in the Heritage Park, Mount Sinai, NY
All attendees (members / non-members) are asked to sign in for each meeting.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Membership Report
- Continuing Business
- New Business
- Any available updates will be provided for ongoing zoning issues and projects currently underway or proposed.
- Mount Sinai Meadows (Commercial + residential behind King Kullen): As discussed last month, final site plans are available for review.
- There will be a Public Hearing for the project on December 20th at 5 pm at Town Hall. The Civic has issued a letter of support for this project which outlines the public benefit to be donated voluntarily by the developer.
- Pond View Estates: We have received some information from the developer.
- Cell Tower Proposal: The Town of Brookhaven has received a request to place a cell tower at the rear of the Rose Caracappa Senior Center property and is interested in community input. What do you think? The Civic helps be your voice in such matters – come let us know!
- Our annual membership drive is underway – please join again this year and consider asking a friend or neighbor to become a member!
- Membership dues remain a low $15 per individual and can be doubled for community beautification!.
School Bond Vote Information
- The Mount Sinai School District Board of Education is proposing a 15 year bond of $25 million for the maintenance and improvement of the district’s facilities.
- Projects in the bond are eligible for State reimbursement. The list of projects proposed can be found here.
- How much will the bond cost YOU? The School District has posted a calculator to estimate the annual cost based on your home’s assessed value.
- This bond must be approved by the public. The bond vote is scheduled for December 11, 2018. SCHOOL VOTER REGISTRATION IS SEPARATE FROM REGULAR VOTER REGISTRATION Click here for information on how to register to vote.
- The School Board discussed the bond extensively during it’s September meeting. Click here to watch a video of that meeting.
- The School Board adopted the bond proposal during the October meeting, and explained in detail the rational behind it’s proposal. Click here to watch a video of the October meeting.
Civic Website Redesign
- The Civic is working to update our website and has hired a firm to assist in this project. Some updates can be seen now, and work continues.
- We aim to ensure that members and the wider community can access information about the work that we do to enhance and maintain the quality of life in Mount Sinai.
- Plans include the ability to post minutes and other documents, accept payments, and automate and manage our email lists.
- Many thanks to VP Brad Arrington for taking the lead on this!
- The next Civic meeting is on Monday, February 4, 2019 (no meeting in January!)